(Central News Agency, Kuwait City, June 3, Combined Foreign Reports) Kuwaiti authorities said Iran attacked a passenger terminal at Kuwait International Airport on Tuesday, injuring several people and forcing a suspension of air traffic. Bahrain and the United States also said they intercepted a wave of Iranian attacks targeting Bahrain.

According to AFP, these attacks test the US-Iran ceasefire agreement reached on April 8. The ceasefire had largely held despite sporadic attacks.

Kuwaiti Defense Ministry spokesman Brigadier General Saud Abdulaziz Al-Atwan described the attack as a "criminal Iranian aggression" that caused severe damage to buildings and injuries.

Al-Atwan's post on social media did not mention the number of injured, only stating that the wounded had received medical care.

Kuwait's state news agency reported that civil aviation authorities suspended air traffic and diverted inbound flights to an alternate airport after "Terminal 1 was attacked by Iran, causing casualties and damage."

Iran's Revolutionary Guards blamed the US for an attack on a communications tower on Iran's Qeshm Island and said that in response to this aggression, a US airbase and helicopters in a certain country in the region, as well as the headquarters of the US Navy's Fifth Fleet, were targeted by Iranian missiles and drones.

However, the Revolutionary Guards did not explicitly state that they had attacked Kuwait Airport.

Kuwait International Airport had been attacked multiple times during the Iran war and only resumed full operations on June 1.

This oil-rich Persian Gulf state is a US ally, and Iran has repeatedly accused Kuwait and other Gulf states of allowing the US military to launch attacks from their territory.

The US military earlier said it had "successfully repelled" a series of missile and drone attacks from Iran targeting Kuwait and Bahrain, and conducted airstrikes on Iran's Qeshm Island.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement: "Two Iranian missiles fired toward Kuwait missed their target or broke up in mid-air; three missiles aimed at Bahrain were immediately intercepted by combined US and Bahraini air defense forces."

Bahraini authorities also said they intercepted three missiles and several drones launched by Iran. (Translation by Yang Zhaoyan) 1150603

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 事件