(CNA, Washington, June 10, Comprehensive Foreign Report) U.S. authorities today seized 13 web domains suspected of being used by Chinese agents to obtain classified information from Americans with security clearances.

Last week, the "Five Eyes" alliance, composed of the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, issued a rare warning that China's military intelligence services were collecting classified information through job platforms such as LinkedIn.

The U.S. Department of Justice stated today that it had seized several websites disguised as consulting firms that specifically targeted Americans with access to classified information.

"This seizure sends a clear message that any attempt to intercept information by exploiting Americans with access to classified data will ultimately be exposed and dismantled," said Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia.

Roman Rozhavsky, Assistant Director of the FBI's Counterintelligence and Intelligence Division, pointed out that this seizure demonstrates "the ever-evolving methods of the Chinese government's intelligence units, using AI-generated content to lure, recruit, or coerce current and former U.S. security clearance holders to obtain sensitive information."

John A. Eisenberg, Assistant Attorney General for National Security at the Department of Justice, reminded the American public to "be especially vigilant against websites that use the lure of quick money to ask you to answer questions and provide information, and to always be aware of the possibility of being maliciously targeted."

The Justice Department statement said the masterminds behind these websites "deny the involvement of any foreign government." (Compiled by: Chi Chin-ling) 1150611

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 事件
  • Dates in source: 1150611