(Central News Agency, Washington, 17th - international news) New York Knicks owner James Dolan announced today that the team has accepted an invitation from the White House to visit following their NBA championship win last week.
According to Reuters, Dolan said during an interview on WFAN sports radio: "We've just received the White House invitation. We've accepted it, but we still need to confirm the details."
Earlier this month, Dolan invited U.S. President Trump to attend Game 3 of the NBA Finals, describing Trump as his friend.
On June 13, the Knicks defeated the San Antonio Spurs 94-90, winning the series 4-1 to claim the NBA championship—their first title since 1973.
It is customary for major U.S. sports champions to visit the White House and meet the president. While most teams maintained this tradition during Trump's two presidential terms, some chose to decline the invitation.
Last year, after the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl, several players, including quarterback Jalen Hurts, did not attend the White House ceremony.
It remains unclear whether the entire Knicks team will attend the White House event, but guard Jose Alvarado has expressed willingness to participate.
He told entertainment news site TMZ: "If there's an opportunity, I'll go with my teammates."
NBC News reported that a government official confirmed the Knicks' visit to the White House to celebrate their championship. The Knicks will become the first NBA championship team to visit the White House during Trump's presidency. (Compiled by Lu Ying-tzu) 1150618
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: Event
- Organizations: Madison Square Garden Sports & Entertainment