(Central News Agency, reporter Lin Chia-lien, Kaohsiung, June 25) Data from the Meteorological Agency shows that Typhoon No. 7 is heading north, with an approaching front and strengthening southwest winds affecting the area. Kaohsiung has been included in the heavy rain warning zone, and the city government's disaster response center has been activated at Level 3. Mayor Chen Chi-mai stated that the instantaneous heavy rainfall has exceeded the flood control standards for mountainous areas.

Heavy rain fell in Kaohsiung after nightfall today, with torrential downpours reported in Neimen, Qishan, and Meinong. In particular, multiple areas in Qishan's Jizhou experienced flooding, with some road sections seeing water inundate residential homes.

The Kaohsiung City Government issued a press release stating that Typhoon "Mekala" is turning north from the waters east of Taiwan starting today, and the southern region is experiencing the most intense rainfall today. Residents are urged to be on high alert. Kaohsiung has been included in the heavy rain warning zone, and the city government established the "0625 Heavy Rain Disaster Response Center" at 8:30 AM today, activating it to Level 3, with all disaster prevention and relief units simultaneously establishing emergency response teams.

Chen Chi-mai told reporters during a media briefing before the city council meeting this morning that due to the influence of the typhoon's outer circulation, the Kaohsiung City Government's disaster response center was activated to Level 3 this morning. "The instantaneous heavy rainfall has exceeded the flood control standards for mountainous areas and other locations."

Chen Chi-mai pointed out that he has instructed the Water Resources Bureau to strengthen monitoring, keep a close watch on rainfall conditions, and be aware of any mudslide warnings, enhancing preparedness for disaster risks in mountainous areas.

Liang Chin-yuan, deputy director of the Water Resources Bureau, stated that Qishan had already recorded 104 millimeters of rainfall around 4 AM this morning. Two water pumps have been activated, and they are operating normally. The flooding in the Nanzhou area of Qishan was caused by rainfall exceeding the protection standard of the side ditches, leading to overflow. On-site inspections are being conducted to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Regarding the drainage situation in Meinong, Liang Chin-yuan said that the water level at Tai'an Bridge has not yet reached the flood discharge standard, but operations have been initiated early in hopes of achieving a flood detention effect and mitigating future flooding in Meinong.

Regarding construction sites, the Public Works Bureau stated that in addition to sending official notices to all construction industry associations, they are also transmitting information in real-time through LINE groups, requiring construction sites to implement self-inspections for typhoon and flood prevention and to submit self-inspection forms. Key items include tower crane protection, reinforcement of scaffolding and dust nets, clearing of side ditches, and securing of electrical boxes and advertising banners. Inspections will continue to be carried out by personnel.

The Public Works Bureau added that for tower crane safety, according to regulations, the crane boom should be released from its brakes during typhoons to allow it to rotate freely with the wind, thereby reducing wind resistance and the risk of structural damage. After the typhoon, construction companies must immediately inspect and confirm safety. (Editor: Li Shu-hua) 1150625

Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom

Download the CNA "One-Stop News" APP for real-time updates

The text, images, and audio on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 自然災害