US-Iran War Key News

(CNA Doha, July 2) Indirect talks between Iran and the United States concluded today, but there were no signs of a breakthrough towards lasting peace. Instead, the focus was on issues such as the Strait of Hormuz and the unfreezing of Iranian funds, which both sides claimed had been "resolved."

According to reports from Agence France-Presse and Reuters, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi, who led Tehran's delegation, stated that the talks had ended and that both sides agreed to establish communication channels by tomorrow to report and record any violations of the US-Iran memorandum of understanding.

Before boarding the new presidential aircraft, Air Force One, Trump told reporters: "As far as progress is concerned, the denuclearization of Iran is progressing smoothly. We hit them very hard before... but we are getting along well now."

Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the US and Iranian negotiators met separately with mediators from Qatar and Pakistan. However, according to sources, the talks were purely about technical details and did not mention the nuclear issue at all.

US Vice President JD Vance stated that the nuclear issue would be handled later, adding, "Obviously, we are concerned about the nuclear issue, and we will be prepared to start discussions."

Sources familiar with the matter said that the two countries' negotiators in Doha primarily discussed maritime passage in the Strait of Hormuz and the unfreezing of Iranian funds, both of which are key issues under the preliminary agreement.

According to a source who requested anonymity, Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and US chief envoy Steve Witkoff, although dispatched to the Middle East for what the White House called "high-level" talks, did not attend this meeting.

Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson posted on social media platform X that during the Doha talks, the US and Iran made "positive progress" on issues related to the memorandum of understanding, building on the existing outcomes of the Swiss summit.

Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the next round of talks will be held after the state funeral of the late Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is expected to be buried on the 9th.

However, neither the US nor Iran has yet stated whether they have successfully resolved any significant differences between them. (Compiled by: Chang Ming-hsuan) 1150702

Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom

Download the CNA "First News" APP to get the latest news in real-time

This website's text, images, and videos may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 國際政治