(CNA Moscow, July 4, Comprehensive Foreign Reports) According to Russian and Ukrainian authorities, Russia's second-largest city, St. Petersburg, and the surrounding Leningrad Oblast were subjected to a large-scale Ukrainian drone attack overnight, with a local port and oil facilities being attacked.
Reuters reported that St. Petersburg Mayor Alexander Beglov stated that the city of 6 million people experienced a "large-scale" drone attack that hit oil terminal infrastructure. He said there were no casualties and that cleanup operations had been completed.
Leningrad Oblast Governor Alexander Drozdenko pointed out that a drone attacked the Vysotsk port area on the Baltic Sea coast, about 170 kilometers northwest of St. Petersburg. This port handles the transport of oil, grain, coal, and liquefied natural gas.
Drozdenko said that a total of 72 drones were shot down over Leningrad Oblast, causing minor damage to several villages. He did not specify the extent of the damage to the port of Vysotsk.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy posted on Telegram, stating, "Ukraine's defense forces have struck port oil facilities that generate revenue for Russia's war, while also attacking Kronstadt, an important military target over 850 kilometers from Ukraine's border."
Russia has not provided information on whether Kronstadt, a key naval base near St. Petersburg that was attacked by Ukraine in June, was targeted.
Ukraine has intensified its attacks on Russian energy infrastructure this year, leading to fuel shortages in many parts of Russia. (Compiled by He Hongru) 1150704
Stand with the facts, your every contribution is a force to protect press freedom.
Download the CNA "First-Hand News" APP for real-time updates.
This website's text, images, and videos may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 攻擊