(CNA, Taipei, July 9) As Super Typhoon Bavi approaches, Democratic Progressive Party Taipei mayoral candidate Shen Po-yang called on citizens today to prepare. He urged the city government to ensure the smooth operation of all water conservancy facilities and slope protection measures, emphasizing that disaster prevention transcends party lines and hoping for collective typhoon preparedness.
The Central Weather Administration of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications announced today that if Bavi's speed and path remain largely unchanged, a marine typhoon warning is expected to be issued at 2:30 PM, followed by a land warning early tomorrow morning.
Regarding the approaching typhoon, Shen Po-yang told reporters at the Legislative Yuan around noon that he urged Taipei citizens to prepare for the typhoon. He also stated that the Taipei City Government and the central government should confirm the operational status of relevant water conservancy facilities and slope protection measures.
Shen Po-yang said he plans to visit previously problematic locations this afternoon to understand the current situation. He reiterated that disaster prevention is non-partisan and that everyone should take preventive measures in advance.
Separately, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an presided over a typhoon Bavi disaster preparedness meeting yesterday, instructing all units to complete preparations and drills 48 hours before the typhoon's arrival. He also directed district offices to make thorough preparations to avoid the need for emergency dispatch during the event, a directive interpreted by some as stern.
When asked about this, Shen Po-yang responded that frontline personnel are truly working very hard. He added that emergency dispatch is inherently a power of the city government, and since frontline personnel are already working hard on disaster prevention, this is a time for everyone to cooperate.
Regarding the gas leak and road collapse on Dunhua North Road yesterday, Shen Po-yang commented that road collapses in Taipei are becoming increasingly serious. He suggested a comprehensive review after the typhoon to ensure public peace of mind. (Editor: Huang Ming-hsi) 1150709
Stand with facts. Your every contribution supports the power of press freedom.
Download the CNA "First News" APP for real-time updates.
Text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 自然災害