(Central News Agency, Fnideq, Morocco —综合 foreign reports, May 31) According to local authorities, around 60,000 migrants poured from Morocco into the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta in the past 24 hours, attempting to set foot in Europe. The surge, the most severe border crisis in five years, was sparked by unfounded rumors.
● Rumor Triggers Influx of 60,000 in 24 Hours
When Fatima Zahra heard rumors of a rare open border between Morocco and Spain, she immediately attempted to reach Ceuta, a Spanish territory in North Africa bordering Morocco.
She was just one of tens of thousands who risked the dangerous journey by land or sea.
Footage from AFP shows people swimming near the Ceuta border fence, others climbing barbed wire in an attempt to reach European soil. Meanwhile, with border controls clearly paralyzed, Moroccan riot police fired tear gas and water cannons at the crowds.
Ceuta, spanning just 18.5 square kilometers, is Spanish territory in North Africa. Along with another enclave, Melilla, it forms one of only two land borders where Europe and Africa directly meet.
Fatima was ultimately blocked outside Fnideq, a Moroccan border town. But according to Ceuta’s mayor, Juan Jesús Vivas, approximately 60,000 people successfully entered the small enclave—home to just 80,000 residents—over the past 24 hours. That’s equivalent to 70% of its permanent population.
Fatima told AFP: “At dawn, I heard Ceuta was open. I immediately told everyone around me—we should go find work there… try our luck.” She said she wanted to leave because she had been “working in extremely poor conditions.”
● Spanish Court Ruling Becomes Smuggling Incentive
According to an Associated Press report, authorities in Ceuta and Madrid attribute the incident to a recent ruling by Spain’s Supreme Court prohibiting the immediate deportation of migrants arriving by sea, unlike those entering by land or scaling border fences.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez stated that human trafficking networks misinterpreted the ruling, though he acknowledged it may have fueled the chaos.
“It appears the interpretation of this Supreme Court decision spread like wildfire through human trafficking networks within hours, igniting the massive wave of migration we witnessed yesterday,” Sánchez said.
● Losing Lives for a 'Better Life in Europe'
A plaza outside Fnideq was left devastated after clashes today, with over a dozen vehicles burned and stones scattered everywhere, as police tried to disperse hopeful migrants.
Ceuta’s mayor Vivas confirmed that at least 34 people died during the risky crossing attempts.
Images of border chaos have triggered a crisis for Spain’s left-wing government. Madrid has already deployed troops to bolster security. France announced tighter border controls with Spain; Italy even demanded Spain be temporarily removed from the Schengen Area.
Yet for locals, the chance of a 'better life in Europe' outweighs the dangers—even swimming through the perilous currents of the Strait of Gibraltar.
● Goodbye Morocco, Hello Spain
Following the largest migrant influx into the autonomous city since May 2021, Prime Minister Sánchez is scheduled to visit Ceuta today.
However, images of migrants—some minors—arriving in Spain wearing only swimsuits and flip-flops quickly spread worldwide, straining relations between Madrid and Rabat, Morocco’s capital.
Spanish police in Ceuta appeared to take little intervention. Some successful migrants celebrated in the streets, shouting, “Goodbye Morocco. Hello Spain.”
Local Spanish-language broadcaster El Faro aired footage showing young people, including a 14-year-old girl, flashing victory V-signs after crossing safely.
At dawn, Moroccan police hardened their response, deploying dozens of officers using water cannons and tear gas to forcefully disperse those trying to leave. Elderly women were seen being carried away by officers.
According to AFP reporters, the crowd retaliated by throwing stones and using slingshots. Dozens of vehicles, including white-plate taxis, caught fire. Some migrants had arrived in these vehicles the day before.
● Humanitarian Disaster
AP reported live footage showing hundreds of migrants gathering on hills overlooking Ceuta, being dispersed by Moroccan forces using tear gas. Meanwhile, others continued swimming into the Spanish territory.
Rachid Sbihi, a local union leader representing civil defense workers, described it as a “serious humanitarian disaster,” with thousands of migrants—including minors—sleeping in parks and on sidewalks in Ceuta, while others wandered the city.
“The influx continues,” he said. “Reinforcements, including Spanish soldiers, have arrived mainly to assist with treating the injured and providing humanitarian aid.”
“Everything is chaotic,” Sbihi said. (Compiled by He Hongru) 1150731
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: Taiwan