2026 World Cup Key News
(Central News Agency, Los Angeles, July 6) US forward Balogun received a red card but his suspension was temporarily stayed, becoming a controversial incident in this World Cup. American media commented that FIFA's handling process was not transparent, leaving US fans with mixed feelings. On one hand, they are happy that the US team will compete with its strongest lineup, but on the other hand, they worry that the team's performance will be overshadowed by political interference.
On the 1st, in the Round of 32 match, the US team defeated Bosnia and Herzegovina 2-0. Forward Balogun (Folarin Balogun) stepped on the opponent's ankle in the 64th minute while vying for the ball and was shown a red card, automatically incurring a one-match suspension according to regulations, making him unable to play in today's Round of 16 match against Belgium.
This rule, which mandates a suspension for the next match and is not appealable, saw a change in recent days. FIFA invoked Article 27 of its disciplinary regulations, "Suspension of Sanctions," allowing him to play in today's match against Belgium without his red card being rescinded.
The Belgian Football Association raised an objection to this, but FIFA did not accept it. US President Trump's remarks today further escalated the controversy. Trump told reporters at the White House today that he had called FIFA President Infantino: "I just asked for a review, I didn't ask you to do anything specific."
ESPN columnist Sam Borden pointed out the mixed feelings of US fans: "The US team's top scorer being able to participate in this most important match in US soccer history is undoubtedly exciting for both the team and the fans. They don't need to apologize for feeling this way."
Borden said that the World Cup doesn't happen every day, and US fans should enjoy this moment. However, he also pointed out that many football enthusiasts, whether players, coaches, or industry professionals, feel uneasy and resent FIFA's lack of transparency, fearing it could set a bad precedent where matters that should be resolved on the field are altered by political influence.
Roger Bennett, a commentator who has long promoted football culture in the US, noted that from the perspective of US fans, Balogun's return is exciting, but from the perspective of global football fans, it is not a good thing.
He asked how US fans would feel if French President Macron called FIFA to allow a star French forward to play. He believes the US team's performance in this World Cup is excellent and doesn't need this kind of political shadow. If the US team advances, external observers might question every goal scored thereafter.
ESPN commentator Dan Thomas stated in a TV news interview that since 1982, there have been over 150 red cards in the World Cup, and controversial decisions have not been uncommon, but such a handling method has never been seen before. It is difficult for FIFA to convince the public that this was merely a correction of a referee's error and unrelated to the influence of the US President.
Former US national team player and TV commentator Marcelo Balboa pointed out that Balogun is a key player for the US team, and fans are naturally happy to see him play. However, from Belgium's perspective, the team had already prepared tactics assuming Balogun would be absent, and only learned of his availability before the match, which will inevitably require last-minute adjustments to their formation. (Editor: Chang Chi-hsuan) 1150707
Choose to stand with the facts. Your every sponsorship is a force to protect the freedom of the press.
Download the CNA "One-Stop News" APP to get the latest news in real-time.
Text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX ・ 要点整理
- 出典:中央社 CNA
- 分類:體育爭議
- 関連組織:ESPN