According to Agence France-Presse, with the ceasefire agreement on the verge of expiring, Trump announced earlier that he would send negotiators to Islamabad and Tehran to discuss an end to the Middle East conflict.
However, Trump stated that Vance, who led the previous round of negotiations with Tehran, would not participate this time due to security concerns.
Trump told ABC News, "This is purely for security reasons, JD (referring to Vance) is excellent."
However, White House officials told Agence France-Presse anonymously that Vance, envoy Steve Witkoff, and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner would all participate in the new round of talks. These three also attended the previous round of talks on November 11-12.
US Ambassador to the UN Mike Waltz told ABC News that he believes the new round of negotiations will yield "extremely far-reaching" results.
Amid the stalemate, the Strait of Hormuz continued to be closed today. After Iran reopened this strategic waterway on the 17th, it announced its closure again yesterday.
The current US-Iran ceasefire agreement is set to expire on the 22nd. (Compiled by: He Hongru) 1150420
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: Taiwan
- Dates in source: April 22nd (ceasefire expiration) / April 11th-12th (previous talks)