(CNA, Lagos, May 18, Comprehensive Foreign Report) The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) stated today that in attacks on three schools in the country's southwestern Oyo State last week, armed militants abducted a total of 46 people, mostly children. Elisha Olukayode Ogundiya, the Oyo State chairman of CAN, told AFP that of the 46 people abducted in the school attacks in Oyo State on the 15th, most were children aged between 2 and 16. Nigeria is plagued by criminal gangs known as "bandits," who kidnap for ransom and target rural areas. However, most attacks, including school kidnappings, occur in the northern and central regions where conflict is most severe. The militants also simultaneously raided the Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota and two other schools in Esiele, in what police described as a "coordinated attack." In a statement last week, the police said the militants had abducted "some pupils, students, and staff members," including the vice-principal, from the schools. Following the incident, the Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board ordered the temporary closure of nearby schools on the 15th to "prevent any subsequent incidents and to allow security agencies to thoroughly stabilize the area." The board later stated that schools should resume classes on the 18th. (Translator: Kao Chao-fen / Editor: Chen Cheng-chien) 1150518

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 社會安全事件
  • Organizations: Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board