WASHINGTON, May 19 (CNA/Agencies) - After announcing a halt to an attack on Iran yesterday, U.S. President Donald Trump said today that the United States might need to attack Iran again, stressing he was just one hour away from originally ordering the deployment and stating that Iran is willing to reach a deal with the U.S. Reuters reported that Trump stated yesterday he had suspended plans to resume military action against Tehran after Iran submitted a new proposal for ending the U.S.-Iran war. Trump told reporters at the White House today, 'I was one hour away from ordering (the attack) today,' noting that Tehran's leaders are begging for a deal, but if one is not reached, the U.S. could attack again within a few days. 'I mean in 2 or 3 days, maybe Friday, Saturday or Sunday, or even early next week, in any case, within a limited time, because we cannot let them obtain new nuclear weapons,' Trump said. Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of Iran's parliamentary National Security Committee, posted on the social media platform X that Trump's suspension of the attack was because he realized any action against Tehran would face a 'decisive military response.' The Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported earlier that Tehran had presented its latest peace plan to the U.S., which includes an end to hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the withdrawal of U.S. forces from areas near Iran, and payment of reparations for damages caused by the war. Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi noted that Tehran is also seeking the lifting of U.S. sanctions, the release of frozen funds, and an end to the maritime blockade. His remarks were the first official comments from Tehran on the latest peace proposal. According to the report, the terms described in this latest Iranian report do not seem to differ significantly from Iran's previous proposals, which Trump had rejected last week, calling the claims 'garbage.' (Translator: Hung Chi-yuan) 1150520

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 國際