U.S. Central Command issued a statement on social media, announcing a new round of airstrikes against Iran at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Sunday, July 19. This marks the ninth consecutive night of attacks, aimed at further weakening Iran’s military capabilities to attack commercial ships and civilian crews transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

According to Iranian media, the northwestern city of Tabriz came under U.S. attack in the early hours of July 20 local time. Multiple explosions were reported in Mahshahr and Imam Khomeini Port in the southwestern Khuzestan Province. Several explosions were also heard in Chabahar, southeastern Sistan-Baluchistan Province, where the Konarak region activated its air defense systems.

Earlier on July 19, U.S. Central Command reported that one U.S. service member died on July 18 while conducting an Iran-related mission in northern Iraq. Two U.S. soldiers were previously killed on Friday in an Iranian attack on a U.S. military base in Jordan.

U.S. Energy Secretary Wright stated on Sunday that military operations against Iran would continue until President Trump achieves his military objectives.

Wright said the Trump administration’s goal is to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons and to weaken its ability to threaten neighboring countries and global commercial activities. "Therefore, this mission will continue until the mission is complete," he said.

In response to the sustained U.S. strikes, Iran has continued targeting U.S. military bases in several Middle Eastern countries, including Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan.

The current conflict centers on control of the Strait of Hormuz. Iran demands that ships pass through its territorial waters rather than the Oman coast route protected by the U.S. military. In recent days, several vessels that did not follow Iran’s designated route have been attacked, sharply escalating tensions in the strait.

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News