U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Tuesday (April 4) that Washington and Tehran have not yet finalized negotiations on maritime passage through a critical international waterway, but expressed hope that an agreement could be reached 'soon.' Rubio's remarks came after President Donald Trump once again postponed a military strike on Iran, leaving room for diplomacy.

On Monday (April 3), Trump stated, 'Before taking decapitation action, I want to give them one last chance... We'll see how things develop.'

On Tuesday, reports emerged that the U.S. and Iran were nearing an agreement to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, with several senior American officials echoing similar sentiments.

Rubio told reporters at the State Department: 'These negotiations have made progress, but a final agreement has not yet been reached.'

He added, 'The U.S. hopes to see results soon.'

Rubio noted that while some commercial vessels are still navigating the waters despite attempts by certain actors to block shipping, the U.S. is participating in consultations between Oman and Iran to enable more ships to pass safely in the short term.

'Oil is already being transported through these straits, so in practice, the strait is open,' Rubio said.

His remarks may have referred not only to the Strait of Hormuz but also to the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, located between Yemen and the Horn of Africa. Earlier, Yemen's Houthi movement had threatened attacks on vessels linked to Saudi Arabian ports.

The Bab el-Mandeb Strait connects the Gulf of Aden with the Red Sea and serves as a crucial maritime route for ships traveling between Asia, the Middle East, and Europe via the Suez Canal.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Besent said earlier on Tuesday that the U.S. is still negotiating with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, and both sides could reach an agreement to reopen the strategic waterway as early as Tuesday or Wednesday.

Rubio emphasized that while the passage agreement is currently receiving significant attention, the U.S.'s ultimate goal is to achieve a 'final agreement' with Iran on nuclear disarmament.

Following successive disclosures from U.S. and Qatari officials that talks are progressing, investors have downgraded the risk of supply disruptions through the strait. As a result, both Brent crude and West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil prices fell more than 5%, closing at their lowest levels in nearly three weeks.

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News