NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said today that the explosion of a Blue Origin New Glenn rocket engine during testing last week damaged the launch pad, and repair work 'will take a considerable amount of time.' Reuters reported that Isaacman said in an interview at the CNBC CEO Council Summit that a 2028 deadline for the launch pad repairs is 'still within the realm of possibility.' On May 28, the two-stage heavy-lift rocket suddenly exploded into a massive fireball during a routine static-fire test on the launch pad. The test was intended to prepare for the fourth orbital flight mission since January 2025. Company and industry sources revealed over the weekend that the explosion left the launch pad 'nearly destroyed,' with engineers estimating that repair work would cause at least six months of operational disruption. The New Glenn rocket is the core of Blue Origin's space ambitions, particularly in its competition with SpaceX, led by Tesla CEO Elon Musk. SpaceX is currently developing the Starship, the largest rocket in human history.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: breaking
- Organizations: Blue Origin / NASA / SpaceX
- Dates in source: 2028