(Central News Agency, Jerusalem, June 4, Combined Foreign Reports) Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir on Thursday harshly criticized the US-brokered ceasefire agreement with Lebanon, calling it a "grave mistake." Additionally, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz stated on the same day that ground operations in southern Lebanon would continue.
According to combined reports from AFP and Reuters, Minister Ben Gvir posted on social media platform X: "The ceasefire agreement with Lebanon is a grave mistake. The unrealistic fantasies of advisors are dragging the Prime Minister (Netanyahu) toward wrong decisions."
A joint statement issued after US-led talks in Washington on Wednesday said Israel and Lebanon had agreed to a ceasefire, but on the condition that Iran-backed Hezbollah "completely cease" hostilities.
Ben Gvir argued that the agreement, which would see Hezbollah withdraw from southern Lebanon, is unenforceable and that the Lebanese government is not trustworthy.
The hardline minister wrote: "Hezbollah has not left the area south of the Litani, and the Lebanese army cannot force its withdrawal. The state of Lebanon is an accomplice of Hezbollah."
He also criticized Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for bowing to US pressure to reach the agreement.
Ben Gvir wrote: "The Prime Minister should tell (US) President (Donald) Trump: We love and appreciate you, but Israel is a sovereign and independent state."
He added: "At certain moments, one must know how to say 'no,' even to the US President; if we don't do this, the next time we face Hezbollah, it will be stronger and more dangerous."
Separately, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday that Israel would continue its ground operations in southern Lebanon, and that residents of southern Lebanon displaced by Israeli military actions still cannot return home.
Katz's statement came a day after Israel and Lebanon agreed to a ceasefire in Washington-brokered talks. Israel and Lebanon had previously agreed to halt hostilities in April, which was extended in May, but violent clashes continued.
In a statement, Katz said Israeli forces would remain in their so-called security zone in southern Lebanon, which includes the area of Beaufort Castle, a 900-year-old fortress that was captured by Israel on May 30.
He stated that Israel would continue "dismantling terrorist infrastructure in the area" and possesses "US-backed freedom of action to strike Beirut (the Lebanese capital) in response to attacks on Israeli communities and territory." (Editor: Liu Shuqin) 1150604
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 事件