Hualien Flood Disaster Key News
Central News Agency (CNA) Hualien County, June 11 (Central News Agency reporter Zhang Qi) Following consecutive natural disasters and overflow from a barrier lake impacting the local economy, several townships in Hualien County are distributing stimulus funds. The Xiulin Township Office and Wanrong Township Office recently announced plans to distribute NT$3,000 and NT$5,000 in cash to their respective residents in August and September. A total of approximately 23,000 people will benefit.
Affected by disasters including the Matai'an River barrier lake, Guangfu Township, Ruisui Township, Fuli Township, Shoufeng Township, and Fenglin Town in Hualien County had already announced stimulus payments ranging from NT$2,000 to NT$10,000. With the addition of these two townships, a total of seven townships have either distributed or will distribute funds.
Xiulin Township Mayor Wang Rose stated in an interview with CNA that the local economy has not yet recovered following the strong 0403 earthquake in 2024. Although the government has launched many tourism revitalization plans, the number of tourists actually staying in Xiulin Township is low, providing limited help. "Tourism has not improved; many villagers are unemployed and looking for new jobs," she said.
Mayor Wang noted that during recent town hall meetings in various villages, many residents expressed a desire for another round of stimulus payments. The representative council also proposed this last month. After evaluating that the funds could be covered by rebate money, the township agreed to distribute NT$3,000 in cash per person.
She stated that the distribution is expected to take place in August, benefiting over 17,000 residents. Detailed distribution procedures will be announced shortly.
Meanwhile, Wanrong Township, an area affected by the overflow of the Matai'an River barrier lake, also proposed distributing NT$5,000 in stimulus funds per resident through its representative council. Mayor Liang Guangming told CNA that over the past two years, due to the barrier lake and typhoon strikes, all six villages in the township have suffered damage. After evaluating that the township treasury could cover the cost, the distribution was approved.
The Wanrong Township Office announced the eligibility criteria today. Residents registered in Wanrong Township before May 26, 2026, can collect the payment starting September 1st by presenting their ID card and seal at designated locations. The number of beneficiaries is approximately 6,000 people. (Editor: Huang Mingxi) June 11, 2026
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: Taiwan