US-Iran War Key News
(Taipei, Taiwan, June 22, CNA) Despite threats from US President Trump today that angered Iran, a US diplomat said today that the two sides' talks in Switzerland are expected to continue through the night. Additionally, an Iranian source had previously stated that although negotiations have reached a stalemate, they have not ended.
According to reports from Agence France-Presse and CNN, the talks between the US and Iran did not start smoothly. Trump threatened to strike Iran in retaliation for Tehran's support of Hezbollah in Lebanon, causing the Iranian delegation to leave in anger.
The Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported that the Iranian delegation left the building where the talks were being held after meeting with the Qatari delegation, one of the mediators. The official news agency added, "Just as the Swiss negotiations began, Trump posted on X, reiterating his threats and rhetoric towards Iran."
The US and Iran have differing views on several key issues and are issuing threats to each other, with the rekindling of the conflict in Lebanon further complicating the negotiations. Trump had stated that Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed proxy in Lebanon, was causing trouble and that the US would attack Iran again if Iran did not immediately stop.
Iran's chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, also responded strongly: "The United States should be cautious about threatening (other countries). The Iranian military is prepared to respond in different ways. No matter how much they talk, we are the ones who act."
Iran insists that Israel's deadly airstrikes in Lebanon must stop for the talks to progress. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei posted on X, "Unless the war in Lebanon ends, it is impossible to enter the negotiation phase for a final agreement."
On other key issues, a US diplomat at the Swiss negotiation site stated that the Iranian delegation participated in "tough discussions on all aspects of the nuclear deal" and clarified its stance on the Strait of Hormuz, which involves "establishing a de-escalation mechanism to ensure the strait remains fully open."
Trump previously told Fox News that if an agreement with Iran could not be reached, the US might resume bombing and "take over" the Strait of Hormuz. Although the two countries have signed a preliminary agreement to reopen the strait, tensions surrounding this key waterway have escalated again.
CNN reported that despite Trump's threats disrupting the talks with Iran, the US stated that negotiations are still ongoing. (Compiled by Qu Xiangping) 06/22/2023
Stand with truth, your every sponsorship is a force to protect press freedom
Download CNA's "One-Stop News" APP for real-time updates
The text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 國際政治
- Organizations: CNN