(CNA Caracas, July 1) -- Six days after two powerful earthquakes struck Venezuela, a Jordanian rescue team announced today that they successfully rescued a 3-year-old boy from a pile of rubble in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas. The disaster has claimed nearly 2,000 lives.

Venezuelan Acting President Delcy Rodriguez stated via Telegram that the Jordanian rescue team rescued 3-year-old Klieber Moran from the ruins.

According to reports from Agence France-Presse and Reuters, cheers erupted at the scene as rescue workers discovered the miraculously surviving boy in footage.

The Jordanian Civil Defense Authority said in a statement that the boy received first aid immediately after his rescue and was subsequently taken to the hospital for treatment.

Another video showed rescue workers wiping the boy's face and covering him with a blanket for warmth in an ambulance.

Experts point out that the 72 hours following an earthquake are typically the golden rescue period, during which the chances of survival for those trapped under rubble are highest.

The Jordanian Civil Defense Authority stated that the boy's vital signs are good and that they have reported the rescue situation to the local government.

A century's earthquake struck Venezuela last week, with two quakes measuring 7.2 and 7.5 respectively causing the collapse of many residential buildings. Tens of thousands of people are missing, and authorities continue to conduct large-scale search and rescue operations to find survivors trapped in the rubble.

The disaster was particularly severe in La Guaira state, north of Caracas, where entire buildings were instantly flattened.

Jorge Rodriguez, President of the Venezuelan National Assembly, stated today that 6,461 people have been rescued since the earthquake.

He said in a televised address, "We must remain hopeful and continue searching for survivors under the rubble. A boy was rescued early this morning and is currently receiving treatment at a medical center in Caracas."

United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said that 47 metric tons of humanitarian aid provided by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) arrived in Venezuela today to support children and families in need.

Dujarric noted that this includes emergency medical kits for safe delivery, newborn care, and supplies for disease prevention and treatment. (Compiled by Liu Wen-yu) 1150701

Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom

Download CNA's "One-Stop News" APP for real-time updates

This website's text, images, and videos may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 災難
  • Organizations: Telegram / UNICEF