(CNA Moscow, July 4, 2024, via Reuters) - The Russian military reported to Russian President Vladimir Putin today that Russian forces have taken control of the key eastern Ukrainian city of Kostiantynivka. Moscow has been seeking to capture this crucial location as it advances in the Donetsk region.

Reuters reported that video footage showed Putin inspecting a command post, listening to reports from his top commanders, and praising the capture of Kostiantynivka as a significant strategic achievement.

He also stated that in response to Ukraine's increased long-range strikes, primarily targeting Russia's oil industry, Russian forces must expand the buffer zone.

Ukraine has not commented on Russia's claim to have captured Kostiantynivka.

Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov announced the capture of Kostiantynivka in a report on the progress of the conflict. The Russo-Ukrainian War has now entered its fifth year.

Gerasimov stated that southern forces are conducting offensive operations to "liberate" the entire Donetsk region. Donetsk is part of the broader Donbas region, which Russia has vowed to bring under its control and has designated as a key objective of the war.

Gerasimov said, "Our troops have liberated the city of Kostiantynivka, which is one of the enemy's main strongholds within the Sloviansk-Kramatorsk-Kostiantynivka defensive fortress zone."

Russian forces have claimed for some time that their troops controlled parts of Kostiantynivka. Ukraine, in its defense of the region, has treated several cities as key components of its defensive network, with Kostiantynivka being one of them.

Putin called the city of Kostiantynivka strategically important. He said, "We all know that this city is an important transportation and large industrial center in the Donbas region."

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and other officials have stated that Russia's advance in eastern Ukraine has significantly slowed since the beginning of the year, with Kyiv's forces even recapturing some territory.

Putin, in his remarks, dismissed Kyiv's claims as an "information war showcasing so-called successes." Zelenskyy had sent an open letter to Putin last month seeking a direct meeting, but the Kremlin leader rejected the proposal.

Efforts mediated by the United States to broker a peace agreement between Russia and Ukraine have been put on hold during the conflict with Iran, but both Moscow and Kyiv have expressed anticipation for the upcoming visits of their top negotiators, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. (Compiled by Chang Hsiao-wen) 1150704

Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom.

Download the CNA "One-Stop News" APP for real-time updates.

This website's text, images, and videos may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 軍事