(Central News Agency, Agana, Guam, July 6, Comprehensive Foreign News) Tens of thousands of people in the U.S. Pacific territories of Guam and the Northern Marianas are facing power outages today after Super Typhoon Bavi swept through. No casualties have been reported so far.
According to AFP, the island of Rota suffered the most severe damage. Bavi struck the island early yesterday with maximum wind speeds of 290 kilometers per hour, causing trees and utility poles to collapse, and disrupting water supply systems.
Local resident Masum Dhali, 24, said, "Many houses were severely damaged, countless roofs were completely blown off... there is no electricity, no running water, and no mobile network service on the entire island."
Dhali told AFP via Facebook, "Many water pipes burst, many utility poles fell, making basic services unusable for the entire island."
Lou Rosari, a spokesperson for the Rota municipal operations center, confirmed this morning, "As of now, there is still no water and no electricity."
Rota Senator Donald M. Manglona said in a video last night, "Fortunately, we have not received any reports of injuries or deaths."
Authorities stated that the two main islands of the Northern Marianas, Saipan and Tinian, are also facing power outages, and parts of Guam are also without electricity. Guam hosts important U.S. military bases. (Compiled by: Chen Yu-ting) 1150707
Choose to stand with the facts. Your every contribution is a force to protect press freedom.
Download the CNA "First-Hand News" APP to grasp the latest news in real-time.
The text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 自然災害
- Organizations: Facebook