(Taipei, Taiwan - July 8, 2023) - The High Court in London has ruled against Prince Harry and Elton John in their lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail for alleged illegal collection of information.

According to Agence France-Presse (AFP), the written judgment released after an 11-week trial earlier this year stated: "The claimants have failed to prove their allegations... and accordingly dismiss these claims."

Associated Newspapers welcomed the decision by Justice Matthew Nicklin, calling it an "overwhelming victory" and a "major vindication of The Daily Mail's journalism."

Associated Newspapers stated that the court dismissed "every single one of the claimants' 97 allegations," indicating that the judge "accepted the honesty of our journalists' testimony regarding their sources."

Associated Newspapers said in a statement that allegations of bugging people's vehicles and homes, eavesdropping on calls, and illegally accessing bank accounts were "sensational," "absurd," and that no "credible evidence" was ever presented.

Associated Newspapers added, "The reputations of our fair and diligent journalists have been severely questioned and they have now been vindicated."

The Associated Press reported that Harry stated the court failed to deliver the justice and accountability he sought.

In a joint statement with another claimant, anti-racism campaigner Doreen Lawrence, Harry said: "This is a blatant whitewash, but sadly not an unexpected one. The lengths to which the Daily Mail has gone to seek to excuse its abhorrent, unlawful spying on its behalf is shocking and has no place in a just society."

Prince Harry presented emotional testimony during the proceedings, with several other high-profile figures, including Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley, also accusing Associated Newspapers of violating their privacy.

Harry's legal team had stated they were seeking "substantial" damages on behalf of their client for articles published between 1993 and 2018.

This is the third and final lawsuit filed by the Duke of Sussex in his intense legal battle with the British tabloid press, further straining his relationship with the British Royal Family.

Harry, 41, the youngest son of King Charles III, has been involved in other legal disputes, including controversy over his police protection in the UK after his dramatic step down from royal duties six years ago.

Harry, who currently resides in California, arrived in the UK on July 6 for a five-day visit, which is expected to largely take place without his wife and children due to his family being denied police protection.

The visit is intended to mark one year until the Invictus Games next year, and was originally planned as the first return to the UK for his family in four years. The Invictus Games were founded by Prince Harry for wounded veterans.

However, a source close to the Duke of Sussex told AFP that Harry's wife Meghan, son Archie, and daughter Lilibet will not accompany him for the London portion of the visit due to the family being denied security protection. (Compiled by Chang Hsiao-wen) 1150708

Stand with facts, your every sponsorship is a force to protect press freedom.

Download the CNA "One-Stop News" APP to get the latest news in real-time.

Text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 法律