Key News on US-Iran War
(Taipei, July 8) The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of Iran announced today that they attacked US military bases in Bahrain and Kuwait after the United States launched a wave of military strikes against Iran in response to the attack on oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.
According to Reuters, the IRGC stated that they launched a joint missile and drone operation against key US military strongholds including Bandar Salman in Bahrain, Bahrain's Fifth Naval District, and Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait. They also claimed to have shot down a US MQ9 drone that attempted to interfere with the operation. This action deals a fresh blow to the fragile ceasefire agreement.
Officials reported that air defense sirens sounded in Bahrain and Kuwait. The Kuwaiti military stated that its air defense forces were responding to "hostile" missile and drone attacks.
The US had earlier launched a new wave of military strikes and revoked permits allowing Iran to sell oil, in response to the attack on three oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.
The U.S. Central Command stated that this strike targeted over 60 small Iranian IRGC vessels, aiming to make Iran pay a heavy price for violating the ceasefire and attacking shipping.
"The Iranian forces launched an unprovoked act of aggression, a clear and dangerous violation of the ceasefire and a threat to freedom of navigation," the U.S. Central Command said in a statement.
The Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, Iran's highest joint military command, condemned the US strike as a "blatant act of aggression" and vowed a "devastating response," warning that Tehran would not allow the US to interfere in the management of the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran's chief negotiator and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf accused the US of violating the ceasefire. He cited reasons including the US launching the latest military strikes, resuming oil sanctions, violating Iran's "adjustment" measures implemented in the Strait of Hormuz, and Israel's attacks on Lebanon.
Qalibaf posted on social media platform X: "The era of bullying and blackmail is over. We will not yield."
Iranian media had earlier reported explosions in Iran's main oil hubs of Kharg Island, Qeshm Island, and the southern port cities of Sirik and Bandar Abbas.
Press TV reported several explosions south of Kharg Island. The U.S. Central Command did not mention Kharg Island. 90% of Iran's crude oil is exported from Kharg Island.
An American official told Reuters that the strikes targeted Iran's air defense systems, coastal surveillance systems, surface-to-air missiles, anti-ship cruise missiles, and drone launch sites.
An Iranian state television reporter stated that no civilian deaths were reported in Iran, but a commercial pier in Sirik was hit by "enemy projectiles," injuring several people with shrapnel. The report indicated that fishing piers in Sirik and Bandar Abbas were also attacked. (Compiled by Chang Hsiao-wen) 1150708
Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom
Download the CNA "One News" APP to get the latest news in real-time
This website's text, images, and videos may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.
FACT BOX
- Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
- Category: 軍事衝突
- Organizations: Press TV