Taipei, July 8 (CNA) Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an presided over a typhoon preparedness meeting for Typhoon Bavi today, demanding that all units complete preparations and drills 48 hours before the typhoon's arrival. He also urged district offices to make thorough preparations to avoid situations requiring emergency dispatch at the time.

In addition, when asked by the media before the meeting about the possibility of a half-day suspension of work and classes on July 10 if announced for July 9, Chiang Wan-an said that according to convention, the northern cities and counties (Taipei, New Taipei, Keelung, and Taoyuan) will exchange opinions and conduct integrated assessments before 8 p.m. the previous day. Taipei generally adheres to the principle of a full-day suspension, unless there are very special circumstances, and the decision will depend on the typhoon's dynamics and potential impact areas.

Some areas in Taipei's Neihu district experienced flooding due to heavy rainfall in late June. To prevent disasters from the strong typhoon Bavi, Chiang Wan-an visited the Taipei City Disaster Response Center today, presiding over a disaster preparedness meeting for the second time in a week. He repeatedly urged the city government team to transform their flood prevention mindset from passive defense to proactive deployment and early preparation, demanding that all units conduct another inspection of preparations and drills 48 hours before the typhoon's arrival to ensure thoroughness.

While listening to reports from various district offices, Chiang Wan-an affirmed those that proposed new needs. He then asked if other district offices had any proposals. When no one responded, Chiang Wan-an said, "If you haven't proposed anything, I believe you have made thorough preparations. Do not let me encounter any situations that require emergency dispatch at that time."

Chiang Wan-an also instructed that the pre-positioned quantities of sandbags, machinery, and other equipment should be more rather than less, and must be reserved in abundance. "It cannot be just enough, and there cannot be any situation where they run out and are insufficient."

Chiang Wan-an also requested that all bureaus and departments re-inspect and strengthen the stability of roadside trees, drainage systems, tower cranes, fences, building billboards, and hanging objects. Overall, proactive early preparation and thorough scenario drills are essential. The integration of cross-agency manpower and equipment must be synchronized for support and mutual notification, without distinction, and fully implemented.

In addition, the city government team reported that there were overlapping contractors in the emergency repair open contracts for various administrative districts. After integration and the addition of mobile teams, there will be 4 work crews for emergency repairs, with flexible dispatch based on the wind disaster situation.

Regarding rumors of insufficient sandbags in Neihu District, the Civil Affairs Bureau informed the media earlier that 150 sandbags were pre-positioned at the Jinlong Village office on July 6 and were all collected on July 7. The Neihu District Office is aware of the quantity and will deliver an additional 300 sandbags to Jinlong Village today. (Editor: Hsiao Po-wen) 1150708

Stand with facts, your every donation is a force to protect press freedom

Download the CNA "One-Stop News" APP for real-time updates

The text, images, and videos on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, publicly transmitted, or used without authorization.

FACT BOX

  • Source: CNA (Central News Agency)
  • Category: 防災