According to CNBC, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent stated that the United States will take 'unprecedented' economic actions against Iran.

Bessent said in a Thursday night interview with Newsmax, 'This will combine economic isolation measures never before seen in the world with a continued blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, preventing anything from entering or leaving Iranian ports.' However, he did not elaborate further.

As the military conflict with Iran appears to be in a strategic stalemate—with shipping in the Strait of Hormuz threatened and no signs of a diplomatic resolution—the Trump administration is escalating its verbal pressure.

US President Trump claimed on Friday that 'very soon I will announce that the Strait of Hormuz is the territory of the United States' after the US defeats Iran.

Trump has previously suggested that the US might attempt to charge tolls for ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz after a conflict ends, but later abandoned the idea.

Bessent's remarks came as US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Thursday night that US forces could 'indefinitely' maintain a maritime blockade on Iran. Hegseth told reporters that the US Navy would rotate ships in and out of the region 'as it has in the past,' and 'we will continue to do so.'

Media reports indicate that the USS George Washington is heading to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln. The Lincoln has been deployed in the Middle East for over 250 days, originally expected to conclude its deployment in May.

The US Navy said in a statement that the USS George Washington carrier strike group departed Vietnam on August 12.

Hegseth also told reporters that reports about poor conditions aboard the Lincoln, including food shortages, low morale, and even a sailor attempting to jump overboard, were 'completely false portrayals.'

US Central Command posted on X (formerly Twitter) stating that reports of a fight aboard the Lincoln were untrue and that no military personnel had died.

The statement was issued following Iranian media reports on Tuesday. Iranian outlets claimed a 'violent conflict' occurred on the Lincoln, resulting in the deaths of seven US Navy personnel and injuries to several others.

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News