The United States launched a second consecutive night of intense airstrikes on targets inside Iran. President Trump later confirmed that Iranian authorities, shortly after being hit, had "called not long ago" to express a strong willingness to negotiate. However, Trump questioned whether Iran was "worthy" of signing a new agreement and issued a stern warning that any further attacks on the U.S. would trigger overwhelming and destructive military action.

Speaking to reporters aboard the presidential aircraft 'Air Force One' while returning to Washington on the evening of the 8th after attending the NATO summit in Ankara, Trump revealed that Tehran had proactively contacted the U.S. following the latest round of airstrikes. This latest operation marks the first time since the April 8 ceasefire agreement between the U.S. and Iran that American forces have directly struck domestic infrastructure within Iran. Prior to this, Iran had repeatedly attacked commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

"They called not long ago, very eager to reach an agreement," Trump said. "But I don't know if they deserve this agreement, and I don't know if they'll actually abide by it—that's the real issue."

When asked by reporters why Iran would attack ships in the strait if it truly sought negotiations, Trump condemned the Iranian regime as "crazy" and "a bit out of control," though he emphasized that Tehran was indeed urgently seeking dialogue at this moment.

Trump stressed that the U.S. military's latest operation had achieved its primary military objectives. He reiterated a harsh warning to Tehran, stating that any further provocations would invite even more severe retaliation: "We delivered a deadly blow. We responded with 20 times the force. From now on, every time they strike us once, we will hit back 20 times harder."

U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) later issued a statement confirming that U.S. forces had completed a new round of precision airstrikes against Iran, aimed at further degrading Tehran's ability to attack commercial and civilian vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.

According to CENTCOM data, U.S. forces struck approximately 90 Iranian military targets on the evening of the 8th, including coastal air defense systems, coastal surveillance equipment, missile and drone storage facilities, naval operational sites, and military logistics infrastructure.

The previous night, U.S. forces had already launched the first wave of bombing against about 80 Iranian military targets, including over 60 small speedboats belonging to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). That operation was a retaliatory response to Iran violating the ceasefire agreement by forcibly attacking three commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz. CENTCOM emphasized: "U.S. forces remain on high alert and maintain strong lethality, ready at all times to execute the commander-in-chief's operational orders."

A U.S. official told the media outlet Axios that during the 8th's airstrikes, U.S. forces destroyed two critical railway bridges in northern Iran—marking the first time since the April 8 ceasefire that U.S. forces had attacked Iranian national infrastructure. Other destroyed targets included coastal radar systems, anti-ship missile sites, air defense missiles, and other military assets related to operations in the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump later posted on his social media platform Truth Social, clearly framing the airstrikes as a direct retaliatory action: "This is punishment for Iran blowing up commercial ships yesterday. If this happens again, the consequences will be 100 times worse!"

Vice President JD Vance earlier clarified Washington's hardline stance. He stated that the prior understanding between the U.S. and Tehran was: as long as Iran ceased attacking vessels, the U.S. would lift its maritime blockade; but if Iran resumed attacks, the U.S. would retaliate with double force. Vance stated bluntly: "As soon as you fire on a vessel, we will hit back with one punch—and we'll hit harder than ever before."

Editor: Hsu Yung-hsiang

More exclusive reports from Storm Media:

- Trump declares 'ceasefire agreement over' after threatening 'tenfold retaliation,' U.S. military bombs Iran for second consecutive day - Airstrike scale four to five times larger than 10 days ago—retaliating against Iran's attack on ships, U.S. launches 'strong strike' - Iran attacks 3 commercial ships; Trump orders restoration of sanctions on Iran, U.S. military launches 'strong strike'; U.S. Treasury announces scope of sanctions

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News