The carcinogenic oil scandal involving Chung Lian Oil continues to escalate. On the morning of the 17th, Premier Cho Jung-tai expressed deep regret over the administrative units' failure to investigate promptly and obtain complete, truthful information in the initial phase. This is Cho's first public apology regarding the toxic oil incident. Media commentator Luo You-zhi posted on Facebook analyzing that the apology was made because 'without it, total collapse was inevitable.'
During a press interaction while attending an event in Yilan, Cho stated that another batch of problematic oil had been discovered—one not included in the original 29 batches previously known to the government. He apologized for the administration's inability to detect and respond immediately and to obtain full and accurate information. 'I am truly sorry for this,' Cho said, adding that he will continue to investigate the truth and fully disclose all information. He emphasized that administrative responsibilities will be thoroughly pursued, as relevant units failed to obtain truthful data and conduct effective investigations.
Luo You-zhi pointed out that this was Cho's first apology regarding the toxic oil scandal, but it only addressed the situation 'today,' implying past incidents were not his responsibility. The reason for the early-morning apology, Luo explained, was that without it, the entire administration would face total collapse. The underlying message, he said, is akin to 'being given the answers and still getting them wrong—how can you stay in the exam hall? You get kicked out!'
Luo emphasized that the previous 29 batches had already been disclosed, along with lists from Chung Lian, Formosa, and Taishan. Failing to proactively trace or horizontally investigate possible distribution channels constitutes a new layer of responsibility. Moreover, this responsibility cannot be shifted to Taichung Mayor Lu Hsiu-yen through 'divided accountability.' With no scapegoat in sight, the administration had no choice but to apologize.
Luo acknowledged the government's ability to stubbornly deny fault but noted that DPP spokesperson Wu Cheng's remark—'It's not like I forced you to eat it'—left Premier Cho with no room to maneuver. That comment drastically reduced the space for denial. Luo credited media figure Huang Yang-ming for creating the 'explosive anger' that ultimately forced the apology.
Furthermore, with Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an mobilizing citizens to take to the streets for justice, continued evasion of responsibility could push the public into mass protests. If that happens, DPP candidates in the 2026 elections—from Su Chiao-hui in New Taipei to Lai Jui-long in Kaohsiung—would all be at risk. Conversely, Luo challenged the KMT: 'Do we need to feed you spoon by spoon? Now is the time for you to prove who truly cares more for the people!'
More exclusive reports from Storm Media: - Government Lagging on Carcinogenic Oil Scandal? Huang Yang-ming Confronts Wu Cheng, Reveals Shocking Statement by Chung Lian CEO - Public Outraged Over Toxic Oil: Chiang Wan-an and Huang Kuo-chang Join Forces Calling for July 25 Protest on Ketagalan Boulevard: 'Lai Ching-te, Apologize; Cho Jung-tai, Resign' - Who Is Responsible for the Toxic Oil Scandal? Chung Lian Oil Again Hides Batch Data—Engineer: Lai Ching-te Still Eating 'Additive-Free' Dog Food
FACT BOX
- Source: PR Times
- Category: News