The Washington Post reports that former U.S. President Donald Trump recently told major donors in private meetings that he hopes to see Vice President JD Vance win the 2028 presidential election, signaling a possible future public endorsement. However, several advisors emphasize that these remarks do not indicate Trump has already chosen his successor, as he continues to deliberately foster a competitive dynamic between Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

According to two sources familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity due to lack of authorization to discuss the conversation publicly, Trump said during a meeting with donors in the Oval Office about two weeks ago: "At the end of the day, we need to get Vance elected."

Even as Trump directly champions Vance to donors, he continues to repeatedly ask close aides for their opinions on both Vance and Rubio. A White House official revealed that at the end of last month, while aboard the presidential helicopter "Marine One," Trump questioned staff about the strengths and weaknesses of both men.

On June 21, 2026, U.S. Vice President JD Vance delivered remarks at a peace summit in Switzerland. (AP)

In a June interview with CBS, Vance said he would discuss the possibility with his wife after the midterm elections but believes "the president will support whatever decision I make." He has also repeatedly stated that he is currently focused on his duties as vice president and maintains a strong personal friendship with Rubio.

Widely viewed, the outcome of the 2026 midterm elections will be a critical turning point. If Republicans perform poorly, it could embolden more challengers to emerge, contesting Trump's preferred candidate and increasing criticism of the administration’s policies. Both Vance and Rubio could become targets of internal Republican attacks—criticism that typically avoids targeting Trump himself directly. Recent criticism of Vance by right-wing online influencers over the Iran war debate reflects this dynamic.

During the 2024 vice-presidential selection process and in current succession planning, Rubio has consistently enjoyed broad support from traditional Republican donors who backed the party before Trump’s rise. Vance, by contrast, is closer to the "Make America Great Again" (MAGA) movement supporters who helped propel Trump back to the White House in 2024. However, signs of strain within the MAGA coalition have recently emerged. Vance has used his tenure as vice president to actively expand relationships with Republican donors and raise funds for the party.

A Trump advisor familiar with the situation noted: "Vance has done a lot of political work over the past year and a half."

Vance’s recent accomplishments—including helping mediate the June Iran ceasefire agreement, chairing a federal welfare fraud task force, and successfully navigating multiple media interviews during his book promotion tour in June—have all left a strong impression on Trump.

On June 25, 2026, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke to the press in Bahrain after concluding his Middle East trip. (AP)

Although the Iran ceasefire agreement collapsed in July, Vance’s team views his role in the negotiations as a political plus, arguing that the temporary truce he helped broker was well-received, whereas voters widely disapproved of Trump’s handling of the Iran conflict.

By contrast, Rubio currently holds multiple high-level government positions, none of which are conducive to launching a presidential campaign. Whether serving as Secretary of State or concurrently as National Security Advisor, it would be practically impossible for him to campaign while in office.

A person close to Rubio said he is deeply averse to any discussion of 2028 and has intentionally reduced media appearances recently to avoid fueling further speculation. Earlier this year, however, Rubio’s team released a video showing him delivering a campaign-style speech during a press conference, which went viral and reignited outside speculation.

The person added that Rubio has mentioned his remaining term in several internal conversations, implying he intends to serve out his current term. He currently has neither a standing campaign team nor an immediate political operation ready to launch a bid.

White House advisors say Trump still hopes to see Vance and Rubio run together, and Trump continues to frequently praise Rubio publicly. However, it remains unclear whether Rubio would accept the role of Vance’s running mate.

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News