Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu made a clear statement on August 9 during a cabinet meeting, declaring Israel's rejection of the U.S.-backed 15-point Gaza disarmament plan. According to a summary released by Netanyahu's office, he stated directly: 'I want to make this clear — Israel rules out this 15-point plan.' The plan, proposed last month by President Trump's peace committee, includes the phased disarmament of Gaza and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the area. Netanyahu said he has conveyed related concerns to the Trump administration. 'There are some things we can accept, and some we cannot,' Netanyahu emphasized, adding that the Israel Defense Forces 'will not carry out any withdrawal before Hamas is truly disarmed, and will continue to thwart threats against our military and our people.' He reiterated his opposition to the two-state solution: 'As long as I am prime minister, there will be no Palestinian state — neither in Gaza nor in the West Bank.' Netanyahu and his ruling coalition face a difficult election in late October. He added: 'Contrary to all those who lecture us, we are doing what must be done for Israel's security. When necessary, we can and will stand firm even with our best friends.' Since last October's ceasefire agreement, Israel has continued launching attacks on Gaza. Hamas, meanwhile, says handing over heavy weapons is conditional on Israel ending 'all forms of aggression' and withdrawing from Gaza. Hamas political bureau member Basem Naim posted on social media platform X on August 9: 'We expect the mediators and the American guarantors to pressure Netanyahu and his government to adhere to the roadmap and not obstruct the process due to internal political and electoral factors.' Since the ceasefire agreement took effect last October, Israel has continued attacking Gaza. Israeli forces currently occupy over half of the Gaza Strip, and Netanyahu's far-right allies have hinted at wanting to expand control, praising his statements. Israeli Finance Minister Smotrich said: 'The Israel Defense Forces must not retreat one millimeter in the Gaza Strip.'

FACT BOX

  • Source: PR Times
  • Category: News